Wednesday 10 February 2016

Wonderful Wednesday - Scrapbook Canvas

Hello and I hope your week is going well so far!

Today I am posting a project that is a bit more unusual for me.  Not due to the mediums used or the techniques but because I made it specifically to go on my own wall as a personal scrapbook canvas, something I don't normally do.

I had a photo of my children developed a while ago with the idea that I would do something with it, but creating my 'enjoy life' frame last week has galvanised me into action, especially as we have a large cream lounge wall that I have been meaning to put things on for nearly two years!!!

My starting point was the paper that I chose to put onto the 12" x 12" canvas.  As the photo is in black and white I was not confined to the colours I could choose so instead chose a paper that I liked and worked the colours around that.  The photo I mounted up with black and white card so that it would stand out, and I found some words and stuck a relevant one onto the photo...

Once the paper had been chosen I picked out some embellishments, including more words, and played with the layout that I wanted.  Once that had been mapped out I stuck the paper to the canvas using mod podge and where the paper overhung sanded off the edges.  I then picked out some gelatos that matched the paper colours and used them to colour the edges of the canvas and paper...

I decided that I wanted the paper to be toned down a bit so covered it with watered down white gesso.  Using the flourish stencil by Tim Holtz and some light paste (Finnabair) I added some texture around the edges of the canvas...

I marked with a pencil where the photo would be and then after painting some of the embellishments with white gesso, stuck them into place on the canvas.  I added a selection of white and purple paper flowers along with some foliage...

The inks I chose to use were spray distress stains (milled lavender, seedless preserves, tattered rose,
peeled paint, wild honey and picket fence), and I sprayed and dabbed with kitchen roll until I was happy with the outcome. 
 
Then I used cosmic shimmer gilding wax (blush and enchanted gold) to enhance the raised areas and flowers before adding some berry micro beads in 3D matt gel and chunky purple glitter.
 
I chose a selection of faux pearls and gems to add amongst the other embellishments and then stuck the photo to the canvas along with a couple more words.  Here is the finished canvas...
 



The canvas now needs to be placed in a frame, which I have already painted black with gold highlights, but I am waiting for it all to dry thoroughly first.
 
Hopefully this will be put up on my wall soon!  I will be back on Friday for some more fun, and I already know that I will have been playing with some new goodies that have just arrived!!
 
Until then, happy crafting, Jane x
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment