Thursday 1 December 2016

Altered Eclectics - Christmas Wreath

Hello!

Well it is December!  Time for the advent calendar and Christmas music to start...
It is also the start of a brand new months challenge at Altered Eclectics, please click HERE to go straight over to the challenge blog where you will see inspiration from the whole team.  The theme is always 'Anything Goes' but NO cards or ATC's.

As it is that festive time of year I decided to create something to reflect the season and one of the things that I love is snowflakes, especially the patterns and the icy colours.  So I made an altered MDF wreath trying to create that feel...

 
 
I started with a blank MDF wreath which I primed with Decoart white gesso then added some texture using light paste from Finnabair through an Imagination crafts snowflake stencil, and then for that extra frostiness added some touches of Golden glass bead gel...
 

 
The wreath was then painted using blue and pearl starlight paints from Imagination crafts... 
 

I wanted to create a really icy look to the wreath so used the Decoart crackle glaze in places and once this had dried added white Decoart antiquing cream which was then wiped back leaving some areas whiter, especially within the crackles.  At this point I felt that something was still missing so added some more shimmer using Imagination sparkle paste through the same snowflake stencil as before.  Some gilding wax was also added to highlight the texture...

 
To finish I wanted even more layers and dimension with some more snowflakes, so used a spellbinders snowflake pendant die and some Sue Wilson snowflake dies to create layered embellishments from different pieces of card.  These were sprayed with some pearl diamond spray then finished with a gem each and a touch of silver Pebeo gilding wax in places...
 
 
The sentiment is from Creative Expressions (heat embossed with silver detail powder) and was die cut then coloured with a brush of distress ink...
 
 
Finally some white satin ribbon was added to hang the wreath from and I adapted an embellishment to add to the centre of a bow...
 
 
I hope you enjoyed seeing how this was made as much as I enjoyed creating it.  I really liked the different layers and texture, and I was happy that I achieved the frosty look I was going for.
Please do pop over to the Altered Eclectics challenge to see what the design team have made and hopefully you will also be inspired to enter a project!
 
I hope you have a fab start to the month and please pop by again tomorrow when I will have another project to share for another new challenge!
 
Jane x 






No comments:

Post a Comment